Time to Reflect
Wow, 2018 was truly a whirlwind for us. We moved to Northeast Minneapolis in May and opened Urban Up in October. Everything in between is a bit of a blur, so we wanted to make sure we took some time to reflect on a year that we are incredibly grateful for.
Matt & Lisa’s Top 5 of 2018
1. Small business ownership. Here is where we get real. Owning your own business is hard, especially when both partners are invested 100% in the business. When Lisa made the leap from her job in June and we decided to open Urban Up later that summer, we knew we were going to have to cash out our savings and change our lifestyle. But you know, there is something incredibly rewarding about learning how to do shit yourself. As the saying goes, if you’re not uncomfortable, you’re not learning. We’ve been uncomfortable a lot this year, so I guess we’re learning in leaps and bounds!
2. Living and working in Northeast Minneapolis. I’m sure everyone says this about their own neighborhoods, but NE Minneapolis is seriously the most supportive, creative and amazing place to live in Minnesota. Our locals bring their dogs by the store to visit, shop regularly regardless of rain or snow, drop off craft beer from local breweries and are people we honestly like to hang with. We enjoy supporting our fellow NE Minneapolis businesses and have found a great community of like-minded individuals here.
3. Animal companionship. In November we welcomed a new bundle of joy into our lives, Jude. This little girl, who is named after her Grandma Lacny, has quickly become the most dominant force in our home and often times at Urban Up. Our customers are watching her grow with us, as we bring her into the shop on most days for both our companionship needs and hers. She loves greeting people when she hears the bell ring on the door and is slowly learning her customer service skills (ouch those puppy teeth and claws can hurt!) We love our pets and wanted jobs where we could spend more time with them, so we are very thankful for the opportunity to do so here.
4. Supportive friends and family. They say it takes a village to raise a child - and we would say it also takes a village to start a business! In 2018 our friends and family put in long hours to help us open our doors at Urban Up, while continuing to run our very busy estate sale business (Kindred). They painted, tore down walls, cleaned debris, organized estate sales (including hoarder houses), managed massive home cleanouts and often worked for much less than they were worth. A special thank you to some of our loved ones who we wouldn’t have made it this far without - James, Steve, Judie, Caleb, Tracey, Amy, Derrick, Josh and Bryant. Your love and support is what has kept us going, thank you.
5. Laughter. Seriously, if it weren’t for humor we probably wouldn’t be able to get through the week. We try and find the humor in just about everything. Slow day at the store, let’s be crazy on social. Crappy weather, let’s dress Matt up as Cousin Eddie from National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and have him shovel the sidewalks. Tough day being husband and wife, dress the dogs up in sweaters and have a fashion show. Life is too short to be taken seriously all the time. Laughter brought us together and has kept us together. Thanks to everyone who has laughed with us (or at us) for sharing in the fun.
As we close the door to another crazy year, we look forward to the challenges and moments of joy 2019 will undoubtedly bring. Let’s experience them together.
Love and laughter,
Matt & Lisa